Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Market fun and the Gumeracha Medieval Fair



Its an interesting life. Being performers means that we don't have weekends to rest, that's what monday is for! Last Sunday we joined Dylan and Kira at the Stirling Market to play as Floot Moot, and had the great surprise of the Cinnabar Red girls arriving to dance. We got to play for them for a while, which was great fun.



But by far the best experience I have had as a performer has been this weekend. Morgan and I were playing for Saffron Tribe at the Medieval Fair at Gumeracha and it was just one of the most beautiful festivals. I think part of what makes it so special is the amount of participation. I don't think I have ever seen so many people looking so comfortable in costume! It was so wonderful to be a part of it all.

Wren was completely overwhelmed. He loved it very much, watching the Knights fighting, the artisans village, the delicious pop corn!!! But most of all he was in love with Indian musicians we were hanging out with in the Middle Eastern tent. He woke up in the pram to them playing on the Sunday and was just transfixed. They were just beautiful to listen to, I felt very blessed to get to hear their magic all weekend. I think the Saffron girls did too, as they started the Sunday afternoon set with lots of floor work to their fantastic sounds.


We also had Dylan and Kira join us on the Sunday and so we played as Floot Moot. Also with us in the Middle Eastern area were some folk pumping out amazingly good food and tea and Vanessa of Velvet Henna who gave me a tattoo that I must share photo's of. (Remind me!!!) The whole weekend was such a lovely experience, and I hope we get to do it all again next year and give more to this amazing event.

2 comments:

Carmel said...

Looks like fun Hannah :)

ArtNomadix said...

What a great weekend Hannah, it is fun being part of such awesome events isn't it. I must blog about our weekend at Mardi Grass, now that I think I have nearly recovered my energy from the mammoth 4 days we worked non stop!