Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Saving Stormboy Country

I don't get on the soap box often, but this is about my homeland so I will. The Coorong is a beautiful, unique region of the world that is dying. The cause is hard to pin down because I believe it is many different things, mostly an attitude of disrespect for the environment masked as 'progress'. The way to fix it is hard to swallow for many, as it means excepting that this river system has been mismanaged and can never be treated as it has been again.
I will leave it at that, and let the following links do the rest of the talking for me.
Some photo's of this beautiful region. A CSIRO report. The Save The Murray website. The problems of letting in the sea water. And another blog dedicated to this issue.

Lastly, this is one of my favourite pieces of jewellery, an ode to this unique part of the world.

No comments: